What is the first priority of a petroleum engineer? (5 points) The first priority of a petroleum engineer is safety.
2. What are the 5 elements of a petroleum system labeled on the illustration above? Green indicates hydrocarbon fill and E refers to the anticlinal structure. (10 points) A. Top Seal Rock (impermeable shale)
B. Reservoir Rock (Porous sandstone)
C. Source Rock (Organic-Rich shale)
D. Potential migration route (Non-sealing fault)
E. Anticlinal Trap
3. Name the four major disciplines of Petroleum Engineering. (4 points)
Reservoir Engineering, Production Engineering, Petrophysics (Formation Evaluation), and Drilling.
4. What are the three main purposes of drilling fluid (mud)? (6 points)
It maintains hydrostatic pressure to control the well, it circulates rock cuttings to the surface for analysis, and it cools the drill bit.
5. Which of the following is NOT a drive mechanism--Solution gas drive, Reservoir Compaction, Gravity Segregation, or Natural water drive? (5 points)
Gravity segregation is not a drive mechanism.
6. The supercontinent Pangaea started to break up about 200 million years ago. Are most hydrocarbon reservoirs in rocks that are younger than the start of the breakup, or older? (5 points)
Most reservoirs were formed in the Jurassic and Cretaceous period. The age of these periods are less the 200 million years old. Therefore, the reservoir rocks are younger than the start of the Pangaea breakup.
7. Explain the main driving force behind Plate Tectonics. (5 points)
The main driving force behind plate tectonics is convection. The mantle is liquid so it moves in a circular motion that drives Earth’s crust to move. The mantle behaves like water would if you were boiling water.
8. A mnemonic is a word trick that helps you to remember a sequence of information. Give a mnemonic that can be used to help you remember the 7 Periods of the Paleozoic Era. (5 points)...
Please join StudyMode to read the full document